Freitag, 12. Februar 2021

Paint Party Friday: Birds, Badgers and a Manx Loaghtan

 Hello and welcome back for Paint Party Friday! I hope you all had a great week with some time for creativity. Besides a lot of knitting (still in lockdown here) I have some sketches and paintings to share with you.

First there is this song thrush. Not completely happy with this painting, as all these dots and markings in its feathers were a nightmare to paint. *LOL*

 
Last week I saw a nice motif in one of my FB drawing groups with a badger trying to reach an apple. Did a quick pencil sketch.

 
Then I decided to finally start my miniature watercolor sketchbook. I'd like to say a quick hello to my friend Soma from Ink Torrents. :)

 
 I liked the motif so much, that I had to paint a bigger version and start another attempt at fur. Fur is my weak point and I still need a lot of practice to get it right. But slowly getting better.

 
 Another attempt to draw fur with colored pencils. Ugh! I follow a lady on Twitter who breeds Manx Loaghtan sheep on the Isle of Man. Love how this rare breed looks. Even the ewes can have up to six horns. She allowed me to use one of her beautiful photos for my drawing. So much to learn about layering and blending with colored pencils.
 

Then I did another garden bird painting. It's a male blackbird and I really like how this one turned out. It's "only" a black bird, but getting all these shades of black right was challenging.

 
And since I almost ran out of sketches for garden birds I did another one, a redstart.
 
 
Have a nice weekend and enjoy bloghopping with Paint Party Friday!

13 Kommentare:

  1. Wonderful art again, you get better and better! Happy PPF, Valerie

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Fabulous drawings, love the birds.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Gurrll you are SOOOO good at drawing animals but your birds could be in a book. They are excellent. Have a great weekend.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Love birds, hope you have fun with the mini sketch book. Happy PPF
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. LOVE each one of these- couldn't choose a favorite, and I would never have thought a badger could look so cute:) Happy PPF!

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. I love your watercolour badger and the blackbird! Coloured pencils are all about layering for sure, it took me a while to find the patience to do 4, even 6 layers in between using solvent to blend everything nicely. I used to press down so hard too...hair and fur are some of my challenges!

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. These are all wonderful pieces. I think you nailed your song thrush. The badger is fun! Happy PPF.

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. These are gorgeous sketches! I love animals too!

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Well done. The badger with the outstretched neck trying to reach an apple is a wonderful, rather unique, perspective.

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. The badger with the apple is very cool. Love each of your drawings. I would give anything to be able to draw a well proportioned bird. Mine are always lopsided.

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. Why are blackbirds remarkable? Because they are so well adapted that they live everywhere! I love the birds that live everywhere. Even mallard ducks.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    AntwortenLöschen