Donnerstag, 21. Januar 2021

Thursday Art Date with Rain: Board Games and Game Night

Board Games and Game Nights over at Thursday Art Date with Rain! What memories! How many evenings were spent with family and friends playing board games. Chess with my Grandpa, Monopoly or Rummy with my parents, Settlers of Catan with school friends. I could go on and on and on. 

First I'd like to share with you a chess game I inherited from my beloved Grandpa. I only had this one Grandpa, as my paternal grandfather didn't return from WWII (long, sad story). When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time with him and my Grandma. They were the grandparents every kid could wish for. SO here's the chess game. I have to ask my Mom, but I think he told me once, that it is handmade by a former customer of him and was given to him as a gift. It was well used by our whole family and we enjoyed playing with Grandpa.

 

Since I'm trying to get better with colored pencils I drew a chess queen on colored paper. I also used the white pencil to try out shading and highlights. Almost looks like made from jade.

 

I'm not into doll house miniatures myself, but I have a Facebook friend (we met through beadwork years ago), who makes the cutest medieval and fantasy dollhouse miniatures. You can see some of them in this picture below, including a round chess board.She also created lots of other board games to use in dollhouses. The name of her Etsy shop is Calico Jewels and if you'd like to see more amazing miniatures, you should have a look.

My favorite piece, besides the dragon beds and benches, made by Linda is this herbalist's cabinet, filled with tiny labeled glass bottles. Amazing work!

Tales o' this portrait be a mystery.

Joining Thursday Art Date with Rain!

7 Kommentare:

  1. That is definitely a lovely, lovely chess set. It certainly looks hand made. It is beautiful, and I am thrilled you shared it.

    I was determined not to be late today, and truly enjoyed the Queen you drew and colored. The shading is great, too.

    Wow, those miniatures are stunning. Her prices are reasonable, considering the time and materials she has invested, too.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Lovely chess piece with the white highlights! I love dollhouse miniatures thanks for sharing. And what a treasured chess set from your Grandfather.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Hi Kokopelli! :) I'm finding it interesting as I visit my art date friends...a LOT of us have fond memories of playing games with our grandfathers! What nice memories. The chess game is beautiful and I'm sure you had many hours of joy playing with him! :) Your coloured pencil piece is wonderful. I love the greens and yellows combined. :) And your friend Linda, wow. I really admire people who can do miniature stuff like that, it's incredible!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. The chess set and the box are beautiful and the most beautiful thing about them is the wonderful memories they inspire of you and your
    Grandpa.
    Your friend is very talented and must have the patients of a saint. My goodness, the detail ... I will take a trip over to her Etsy shop. I am sure it is amazing. Wonderful post and hope all remains well with you ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. lol, chess was one game I actually learned to play :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Not sure if my comment got through. Chess was one of the few games I actually learned to play :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Wunderschönes Schachbrett und Figuren, mein Freund spielt es auch gerne nur ich verliere immer.
    Toll, deine Zeichnung von der Figur.
    Eine besondere Arbeit das Gewürzbord mit den Gläser.
    Lieben Gruss Elke

    AntwortenLöschen