Dienstag, 27. Oktober 2020

T stands for....apples!

Hello! I'm a bit late for "T stands for....". I'd like to say thank you for the warm welcome and the kind comments on last week's post. Thank you so much!

Apples are a big thing in my area here in Germany. During late summer and fall, you can see all kinds of people picking apples on their "Stückle" (which is usually a meadow with apple and sometimes pear trees) and drive them to collecting centers, where they are made into juice. But there are always some apples left and you always find people, who want to get rid of their apples or have a tree, that they won't pick the apples from.

These are apples from our archery grounds. They are very tasty and have a red skin and also red flesh.


I cooked them to get the juice. Can you believe, that this is apple juice? Gorgeous color, right? And so tasty!

From the juice I made a delicious apple jelly. The color is really amazing. I gave away some jars to family and friends to enjoy.

Then I picked some more apples, as the tree still had plenty and was about to loose some branches. No one else wanted them. I made some apple chips for healthy snacks. Don't they look great? I also made apple sauce to eat with pancakes or rice pudding. Yum!

I had enough of apples by then......and ran into my boss last week. He handed me two buckets full of apples. And yes, he has a "Stückle" and knows that I bake and do all kinds of canning and so on. And so I did some more things with apples. An apple cake of course. And then I gave apple liqueur (on the right) and apple vinegar (on the left) a try. They are now in their jars and doing their thing. Especially the vinegar is interesting to watch and smell. First it smelled like apple juice and by now it already has a vinegar smell. I love to try such kind of things.

 And since I love apples, the drink for this week is clearly apple juice. You can get it all year round from the big supermarkets and discounters, but also from small family farms, who make their own juice in fall and sell it in bag-in-box containers. That juice is much tastier that the store bought juice. I love it mixed with water, which is called "Apfelschorle" in German. Sorry, I have no photo of the bag-in-box, as our favorite farm ran out of apple juice early this summer. :(
 

 

7 Kommentare:

  1. Wow. That is an amazing color for apples. You'll have to let us know how the apple liqueur and vinegar come out. You know I have lots of apples in the house and have done very little baking with them so far. Good thing they keep so well in the refrigerator. Hope it was a great T day. Hugs-Erika

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Here in Michigan we are also an apple-growing area. The orchards produce lots of beautiful apples, of which some varieties keep well and others are only seasonal fruit. We also love our cider mills, which have in many cases been producing cider since the 19th century (which wouldn’t be a big deal in Germany).

    Be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I tend to forget apples, including the ones in my kitchen right now. I'm inspired by your post to be more mindful of them. Happy T Day!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Wow, I didn't know there was an apple with red flesh! That juice almost looks like blood: perfect for a Halloween party!! Great photos. Happy T-Day!

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I am leaving this generic message for everyone who visited and participated in T Tuesday. I want to thank you for visiting. You may have noticed I was offline off and on for three days. I kept losing electricity. Each time, I was able to visit a few people before the electricity went out again. The third time, I was leaving a comment for Valerie when I heard a huge BOOM. There was a flash of light, the windows and walls shook. It felt like an earthquake to me, but it only lasted a second or two. I believe they have finally fixed the electricity in my neighborhood. I won’t know until I get to explore the internet, but it may have been very local. I know I saw two bucket trucks driving up my street less than an hour after it happened. With no heat, the temperatures both nights dipped into the mid-20s F (low 4s C). Thanks for your participation and thanks for hopefully understanding why I was unable to visit for T this week.

    I don't seem to be a very good host, but I'm delighted you joined again this week, dear. Thank you SO much, even though I am SO far behind and trying to catch up while staying/getting warm.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. All your apple products look good and yummy. Oh, I would love some of those apple chips. I am glad you felt welcomed last week. We do have a fun group. Have a great week.

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. I always loved Apfelschorle, especially with water with a bit of Kohlensäure. We have an apple festival in the neighboring town every summer except for this year of course. They have Gravenstein apples there, the good old Grafensteiner.

    AntwortenLöschen