Donnerstag, 19. November 2020

Thursday Art Date: Antique

Antique! What a fun theme with so many options and directions to go for Rain's Thursday Art Date. I was inspired by the secretary's desk of Rain grandfather and the lovely catalogue page of chairs for sale. So I went online and did a search for antique chairs. This one immediately caught my eye. Isn't this piece of furniture cool? A table and if you open it, it's a chair with a table. On the sales page I found it, it's described as a "Metamorphic Combination Table, Desk and Chair"  from the 19th century.


I love furniture, that is versatile, has little secrets and that little something, that makes it special (althought that table is way out of my price range *LOL*). In my next life I might become a carpenter and simply built these things myself.


For now this quick sketch in my sketchbook has to be enough.

Another piece, I made back in my beading days, came to my mind reading the word antique. The challenge was to made a piece inspired by antique mosaics. When I think of mosaics, I often have the beautiful mosaics in mind, that embellish Islamic architecture like for example the Madrasa Ben Youssef  or the Saadian Tombs in Marrakech (photo credits: Coconut Sports and Wikipedia). Some of them date back to the 14th century.



I made this bead embroidered cuff back in 2010 with glass beads, glass cabochons, a Czech glass button and a semiprecious gemstone.





13 Kommentare:

  1. Was für ein hübsches, zauberhaftes kleines Möbelstück! Also, wenn ich das irgendwo sehen würde, ich würde es mitnehmen wollen! Ich liebe solche schönen Teile sehr!
    Hab einen schönen und freundlichen Tag!
    ♥️ Allerliebste Grüße, Claudia ♥️

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. So schön gezeichnet dieses alte Möbelteil!
    Die Mosaike sind grossartig gestaltet in diesem Haus, das konnten die wirklich gut.
    *wow* das ist wunderschön dieses Schmuckteil, eine beeindruckende Arbeit von dir!
    Lieben Gruss Elke

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Lovely table/chair! Have a great day, Valerie

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Lovely embroidered cuff, well done. Thanks for the lovely photos of antiques

    Mine is HERE

    much love...

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. You excelled this week LOVE that antique table/chair and beautiful inspired beadwork!

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. You did a fabulous job sketching the vintage multi-purpose furniture piece. This would be a great addition for a small home or apartment. Have a doodletastic day!

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Great post my friend. I love the draw of the desk and of course I love your beaded piece.

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Fantastic drawing of the secretary desk and it is very unique. I love to find pieces like that. Love the beaded bracelet as well.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. I am so sorry for being so late visiting. I was SO sick last night, I didn't even link up for at least two hours. Still not well, but feeling guilty, so wanted to stop by and admire how amazing your art is this week.

    Your drawing is amazing. I loved the piece you chose to draw. And that beaded cuff is out of this world, too.

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. Hi Kokopelli :) Your beadwork is FANTASTIC. It's so pretty. And omg, my grandparents HAD THAT CHAIR/TABLE combo! Not exactly that one, but one really close to it! Very cool, I love the sketch!!! Why don't they make furniture like that anymore???

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. You found such an interesting piece. I have never seen a secret chair inside a table. And, like you, I love the Islamic architecture ... their work is so defined and perfect and I can't imagine how they could build whole buildings in mosaic. So your cuff also looks like it may have been difficult to make and it sure turned out perfectly. Wonderful post ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. I just read your comment about the fabric tree. It was a gift when I was 18, and it has lasted brilliantly over the years. The lady who made it for me stuffed it really, really, really well. Sorry, I have no pattern and since I only sew fabric to paper and paper to paper that I tear, I have no way of knowing how she made it. Perhaps there are patterns on the internet, though.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you for taking the time to answer! I did a quick google search and there seem to be a lot of patterns available. Would love to have one for our new house. Then I will have enough space for that. :)

      Löschen